We are just starting Eureka Math Module 5, which is addition and subtraction within 1000, with word problems to 100.
In Module 5, students will continue to develop their conceptual understanding of addition and subtraction to numbers within 1,000, always modeling with materials or drawings. A huge focus is strengthening and deepening the students’ conceptual understanding and fluency.
- relate 100 more and 100 less to addition and subtraction of 100
- add and subtract multiples of 100
- use simplifying strategies for addition and subtraction
- use compensation to subtract from three-digit numbers
- use written method which include number bonds, HTO charts,, arrow notation, open number lines, and tape diagrams.
Here are some great LearnZillion videos you can watch at home with your child:
Add or subtract a number within 1000 in parts:
Add within 1000 using expanded form
Subtract within 1000 using expanded form
Adding by grouping tens into hundreds
Please don’t hesitate to ask us if you have any questions!
The Second Grade Team