Summer is finally here! The children have worked hard, and deserve a rest. But before long, we all know that the inevitable will happen – – you will hear your child say, “What is there to do???” Well, here are some suggestions for activities to do with your future third grader.
- read every day: read to your child, and have your child read to himself or herself. In English and any other language!
- write every day: have your child write a summer journal of what they have experienced daily, write to each other in an interactive journal, inspire your child to write POETRY!
- read the poetry of Amy Ludwig VanDerwater, Zoê Ryder White, Kristine O’Connell George and others. Inspire your child to look at the world with poet’s eyes.
- tell your child word problems in order to practice mental math every day (and continue with Xtra math online to practice basic addition and subtraction facts within 20)
- for more math practice, look over your child’s agenda, find the Common Core codes, and google loads of activities
- above all, treasure the time you spend together!
Here are some online resources:
a. Online games in math and reading:
- look in homework agenda for more math games to review
b. work with word problems
- generate these problems: http://www.softschools.com/math/word_problems/worksheets/
c. ideas for writing:
- second grade monthly writing prompts: http://www.scasd.org/Page/2806
d. Work with reading comprehension:
e. summer reading books/ suggested books
f. free online books
We have thoroughly enjoyed teaching these second graders this year, and wish you all the best!
Take care and have a lovely summer!
The Second Grade Team