Open PTA Meeting: Friday, January 20th
The PTA would like to apologize for the total lack of M&M’s at this meeting!
Dates to Remember:
- Head of School Search Meetings:
- Monday, January 23—Community Forum 6:30-8 PM (Bill Knauer)
- Thursday, January 26—Community Forum 6:30—8 PM (Monica Medina-Olds)
- Friday, Jan. 27th, Lost and Found Clean-Out
- February 3rd, Frosty Friday
- Wednesday, Mar. 7t: Pancake Day
Please remember to subscribe to the BFIS Webpage for all the latest information
- In-line skates: 2/3 graders should bring supplies to school in labeled bag, they will be stored in a separate area from the cubbies. Children without supplies will participate in some manner.
- Report Cards: ES are under review by the ES faculty and administration
- PE Grading System was reviewed in December, this issue is still under active revision.
- Powerschool Program has been launched, it can be accessed through the student email accounts.
- Advisory Meetings continue with Elementary Room Parents and MS/HS Parent Liaisons. If you have concerns that you would like the administration to be aware of, please contact your room parent and they can bring up the issues at their regular meetings. A copy of the notes from these meetings can be found on the BFIS website.
- Traffic Concerns: We will be filing a petition with the local government to change the bottom portion of our street to one way for the morning and afternoon drop-off. We are working with Oak House, faculty, staff, teachers, and parents on this issue. Until we get the official permit, we will try to unofficially launch a new traffic pattern. The lower green gate will be closed, and the two primary entrance points will be the upper gate and the entrance with the security guard. Question: why is the green gate being closed? People don’t want to walk up the sidewalk to the old gate, and people don’t want to walk the extra block to the security guard entrance.
- Request to get the link to Volunteer Google Docs online ASAP.
- Traffic and Parking concerns—New traffic pattern will begin in February/March, and people are worried about closing the green gate. People want to use that gate, both drivers and walkers, and there was widespread concern over this issue. We are asking everyone to be patient and give the new system a chance. We will plan to review the new system a month after launching.
- Is there a way to slow down traffic? We have asked in the petition to have a sign with blinking lights to indicate that we are in a school zone.
- Concerns regarding ES email accounts—why are the students being given email accounts? Is this necessary in the lower elementary school? Why is this an academic advantage? Can parents opt out or be given permission? (Concern brought up from the 3rd Grade)
- Lunch-time: Elementary—the lunchtime is too short for some children.
- Monitors: Monitor program is not organized to support good behavior and encouragement to taste all food. Could there be a meeting with monitors and parents to coordinate lunch-time behavior?
- Lunchtime menu: The dessert is always listed as a fruit, but is fruit offered? Do they run out of time before the students eat the fruit?
- Overnight Student Trips: When are they? Where are they going? When are James’s orientation meetings sooner rather than later? Can the school publish a one-pager explaining the rationale/organization etc. of the field trips?
- Calendar concerns: The school is about to begin planning the calendar for next year, now is a great time for parents to share their thoughts about puentes, vacations and more with the PTA. There was a parent concern regarding the long three-week vacation in December—working parents are concerned about childcare etc.—can the school offer childcare for these extra-long holidays?
- Math Differentiation: When is the follow up with Monica Neagoy? Is there a search for a math director?
- Grammar: What is the rationale for ignoring grammar? Is there a way to bump up the math program?